Sunday, April 27, 2008

WHY WOMEN WITH YOUNG CHILDREN CAN’T BE FASHIONABLE

WHY WOMEN WITH YOUNG CHILDREN CAN’T BE FASHIONABLE

 

When I was so much younger, and had all the time for myself, I used to despise those fat, unfashionable mothers. I thought they were too lazy and unmotivated to keep their shape. I told myself that I would never become one, having read so many articles in magazines about husbands finding comfort from younger women.

 

I was neither naturally beautiful nor glamorously packaged in water proof mascara or glittering lipstick. I was modest. But at least, I paid great attention in choosing my outfit. I didn’t settle for ordinary shawl, I bought cashmere. I walked entire 4 malls just to find a coat with the right color. My shoes were perfect. They had 3 Cm heels to support long walking, yet they looked chic and unique. Not just some bulky Hush Puppies. I guess, I was fashionable enough for my own standard.

 

You may have heard this a thousandth time, “Things change when you have a child.” They do! I still maintained my weight during early marriage period, but failed to keep it as a new life emerging inside me. Weight gain was perfect until my obstetrician declared that the baby was underweight. Suddenly, I found myself in a compulsory 2-egg-3-milk-daily diet. Insufficient, I was forced to eat ice cream every single day. Not to mention the usual must-have highly nutritious 3 meals. When you have to eat that much, mealtimes are tortures. Thanks to the routine, my baby was delivered at 3.3 Kg. (3 Kg is considered ideal for delivery).

 

Unfortunately, the rest of the nutrients went straight to me. Stubbornly sticking to my fat deposit, even up to the moment I’m writing this. Now, every time I see a fat mother (aside from the one I always gaze at the mirror), I forgive them. It’s not their will. It’s their obstetricians’!

 

As if not enough, I also have to abandon necklace and beautiful blouses. Anything shiny goes right to the baby’s mouth and when you have someone who rubs her face vigorously to your chest with the nose running, white blouse is a sacred object. It deserves the safest place possible: bottom of the wardrobe.

 

With the baby getting heavier, even 3 Cm heel shoe is not acceptable. You may trip and fall down easily. Even worse, you’re at risk of dropping the baby. Only flat heel footwear guarantees firm steps.

 

Lipstick, has transformed into a momentary formality. It’s on my lips, yes, but only stays there briefly before landing permanently on the baby’s cheek.

 

Now you see, women with young children just can’t afford to be fashionable. They trade it with more important things: baby’s welfare, practicability, and motherly love.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. reverse yer perspective cud make yer days feels better.."only a lausy mommy who can be fashionable woman with little children". make u feels better?..n_n

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...betul juga..THANKS..or mothers with babysitters yeah..

    ReplyDelete